Humanitec is developing a platform that helps teams radically speed up their application development using microservice architecture. We are leveraging cutting-edge technology to create the application development platform of tomorrow, which will enable dev teams to focus on writing unique code and developing enterprise business solutions faster than ever. Our enterprise development teams are our first users, delivering complex solutions in the fields of global workforce management, organizational management, data consolidation and analysis, IoT integration, and many more. We love open source and share what we do wherever possible so you can reuse it.
General position summary
The Back-End Developer will work with the software development team to design, test and build back end models, data sharing frameworks and business logic for current and future applications.
Essential job functions
- Work with lead software developers to enhance and develop new server side applications for the existing platform.
- Understanding of the challenges of optimizing for low bandwidth desktop and mobile solutions as well as localization within the context of a global rollout.
- Experienced with agile project management methods and how to integrate good design principles into iterative development approach.
- Familiar with standard continuous integration, build and testing tools and other modern devops and deployment strategies.
- Understanding of basic data science tools and practices for reporting, visualization and integration.
- Familiar with microservices architecture and software design patterns.
- Able to communicate with developers on technical requirements and contribute to backend/frontend development components.
- Work in a cross-functional team with other engineers to design, build, test and deploy software components.
- Review colleagues’ code with an eye toward performance, reliability and maintainability.
Collaboration and learning
- Member of software development and global rollout team. Work with non-technical team on support and debugging requests from users in the field.
- Provide support to customer teams to take advantage of the platform’s built-in feedback loops and enable iterative improvements to program implementation.
- Contribute to high-level discussion about design best practices within the user feedback communication channels.
No direct reports but possible product lead, help with future interns or junior level back end developers to learn the workflow process and supports systems as well as follow excepted development guidelines and participate in routine code reviews.
Works directly with
Lead Software Developers, Data Scientists, Remote and local support and software testing staff.
Knowledge and experience
- Expert level experience with Python, Java, or other system level software development languages. Experience with Docker.
- Expert level experience with MySQL, PostGres or other relational database systems
- Experience with NoSQL flat file database system like MongoDB or CouchDB.
- Understanding or familiar with level knowledge of CSS, HTML5 and browser DOM
- Experience with or Interest in GIS and mapping software, as well as using Leaflet, Google API’s, Mapbox and CartoDB.
- Experience with or understanding of Agile development process and ability to self manage pace and time within the scope of a project.
- Interested in building iterative learning systems or feedback loops and working with a human-centered design approach
- Exemplary organizational, communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent writing skills – ability to write in a variety of styles for multiple audiences.
- Understanding or familiar with level knowledge of Kubernetes, Marathon, Docker Swarm or any other container orchestration platform. Jenkins, Travis, Drone or any other CI tool.
The back-end software developer will have strong organizational skills and the ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel. He/she will have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and a demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action. Willing to collaborate and work in a team environment with other learning driven team members focused on delivering and improving on every aspect of the software and the software development process.
Why join Humanitec
- Be a part of the team that builds the development platform of the future
- Plenty of opportunities to contribute to open source projects
- Clear career development plan
- Constant increase of knowledge through conference visits and personal coaching
- Want to sharpen your public speaking skills? We’ve got you covered!
- A friendly work environment where openness is valued and initiative is encouraged
- Fresh fruit, coffee, drinks, regular team events, a sunny courtyard and up-to-date hardware are all here to ensure optimal working conditions!
How to apply for Berlin and New York:
Send us a link to your CV, LinkedIn or anything else that can give us an idea about who you are, what you do and why you want to work with us to: email@example.com
How to apply for Nairobi:
Send us a link to your CV, LinkedIn or anything else that can give us an idea about who you are, what you do and why you want to work with us to: firstname.lastname@example.org